TashaLu

TashaLu
A love of my life!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Week 4 - My Connections to Play

I find myself very emotional reminiscing for this blog assignment about play and my childhood. So many things have changed: my outlook on life, how I relate to the images in this post, and the dichotomy of how I played as a child and how I play as an adult. I do not know what my parents thought about what or how I played as a child as it was a rare occurrence if mom or dad actually took part in play with my younger brother and I. On the other hand, I also do not remember them ever setting restrictions on my free time either and for this, to a certain extent, I am grateful. I do, however, often remember my friends' parents setting strict rules for their play experiances. "Dont do that" "That's not allowed" "Just cuz Vanessa and Alex are doing that doesnt matter, I'm in charge of you" were uncomfortable phrases which underscored some of my play experiances with friends. I can understand this as well, and I also remember thinking, how come my parents acted (or didnt act at all) differently? I am sure I will ask them one of these days.

Play is a major avenue for learning to manage anxiety. It gives the child a safe space
where she can experiment at will, suspending the rules and constraints of physical and
social reality. In play, the child becomes master rather than subject.... Play allows the
child to transcend passivity and to become the active doer of what happens around her.
--Alicia F. Lieberman, author, The Emotional Life of the Toddler

My little brother was more times than not, essential in my early childhood play memories. We were “partners in crime” growing up, dependant on each other’s stimulation to get through mostly everything. I remember taking turns with him making up the rules of our games, with me admittedly taking advantage of his youth and the privileges of being the “oldest” and as a result “in-charge.” During our turbulent childhoods, in my mind, Alex was a Master playmate because when life was a roller coaster, he always engaged me in some sort of play, his defense mechanism of choice, and this saved me a lot of times and in many ways.  





Since I can remember, I have always loved learning about the ocean and therefore I usually always had a pet fish growing up that I would play with. I did not physically play with him or her, simply made up stories about what they were thinking about in their little bowls. I remember learning about my first Beta fish and being so excited when my brother got one of his own because they could be WWF wrestlers with each other. My brother and I would rough-and-tumble play “showing” them the moves we wanted them to act out.



We grew up, for the most part, living at apartment complexes. I remember when I was young, not appreciating this, always dreaming of a “normal” house, with a yard and climbing trees. However, looking back, I had a blast! There was always something to do, countless possibilities for hide and seek, and it was probably safer being in an enclosed, large area free of traffic. Living in a complex was essential for us because it was what my parents could afford; there were always other kids to play with.


Adults heavily regulate play today I feel. When I was growing up, we had two recesses daily in elementary school and twice weekly gym classes which were usually guided, but still flexible to the wills of students. Unfortunately, I live in a county currently that recess has been gone for a long time, and this will make me think twice when I have children of my own and am contemplating their educations and overall development. As an adult, I still strongly advocate for play. I believe free time, having fun, and managing stressors is extremely important and play allows for each of these.
Listen to the mustn’ts, child. Listen to the don’ts. Listen to the shouldn’ts, the impossibilities, the won’ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me…
Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
Shel Silverstein, Poet

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Van!
    This is beautiful! Brought back a lot of memories for me, too. My sister is several years younger than me, always too young to be a playmate. There were few restrictions on me, too as a child, but emotion of any kind was forbidden in our house. So I spend a lot of time in quiet activities such as reading and art. I was allowed some time with others in structured activities such as Brownies and Girl Scouts, but my interaction with other kids was primarily only at school. This was also in part because I lived with my grandparents during the week where there were no other children. My grandma was very creative and our "play" was always me learning how to do stuff - cooking, needlework, sewing, etc. I grew up to love all that - well, except maybe the cooking part! :-)
    Great post!!!
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bon!!! I was a Brownie too!!! I am sure we were probably siblings or something in another life :)

    ReplyDelete