TashaLu

TashaLu
A love of my life!

Monday, June 4, 2012

Week 5: Political Will to Improve ECE Systems

During my explorations of early childhood systems including that of Head Start as well as other organizations, I have come to understand not only current issues and trends that affect those systems, but also about how these are significantly shaping the future of the ECE field. The context of public policy and politics is going in a direction in which advocates, educators, and parents are seeking improvement in the field of early childhood care and education.

One of the strategies is involved several with early childhood system fundamental elements concerns documenting and accounting for service provision and receipt utilizing technology. Communication about resources, systematic changes, etc. are being delivered digitally and to that end, hopefully increasingly accurate tracking of the good work we do will be  recognized and acted upon positively by those in power. As a child welfare professional, I can honestly say that documenting everything I do has become a way of life, and though it can be very frustrating often working through stacks of paperwork; I am content knowing that the services and effectiveness of those services are being read by others at some point along the way. Simultaneously, this communication is sent , received, and tracked more efficiently, leaving more time to spend with the children and families I work with. This makes it all worth it.

Another strategy for improving the political will for this field is the emphasis on professional development. I feel that this element of early childhood systems will survive and thrive in addition to being recognized when those involved in it feel that they are also being nurtured professionally. An article I read for our recent applications included one from a European journal discussing the role of the teacher assistant, including that often these professionals feel stuck in their role, and therefore burnout and turnover are the result. I have to admit that this notion is familiar to me and unfortunately stereotypically perceived by other disciplines. One of the reasons why I chose to advance my education with this Walden program includes the fact that I want to do everything possible to stay in this field, which I am so passionate about, for as long as I can.

"Everyone here has the sense that right now is one of those moments when we are influencing the future."
Steve Jobs

1 comment:

  1. Vanessa,
    You are so very correct about the importance of professional development. I feel that the better prepared our professionals are for the task of building, and empowering our children the greater the chances of our children developing cognitively, socially, physically, emotionally--holistically, in a positive and healthy manner. Great post!

    CCWhite

    ReplyDelete