TashaLu

TashaLu
A love of my life!

Monday, March 7, 2011

Week 2

There are VERY few things that my parents have EVER agreed on that I can remember. But, one of them is that this (see below) is both of their favorite baby pictures of me. Rightly so! To this day, chicken off the bone is still one of my favorite foods. Check out chub on my arms too, must have been all that BBQ sauce!

Also added this week to my blog is one of my favorite childhood poems. One other things my parents can agree on is that taking out the garbage (or lack of doing so) was the source of many an arguement growing up! So, Shel Silverstein's Sarah Cynthia Silvia Stout Would Not Take the Garbage Out was a piece that I could identify with:

Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would Not Take The Garbage Out by Shel Silverstein (1974)

Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout
Would not take the garbage out!
She’d scour the pots and scrape the pans,
Candy the yams and spice the hams,
And though her daddy would scream and shout,
She simply would not take the garbage out.
And so it piled up to the ceilings:
Coffee grounds, potato peelings,
Brown bananas, rotten peas,
Chunks of sour cottage cheese.
It filled the can, it covered the floor,
It cracked the window and blocked the door
With bacon rinds and chicken bones,
Drippy ends of ice cream cones,
Prune pits, peach pits, orange peel,
Gloppy glumps of cold oatmeal,
Pizza crusts and withered greens,
Soggy beans and tangerines,
Crusts of black burned buttered toast,
Gristly bits of beefy roasts…
The garbage rolled on down the hall,
It raised the roof it broke the wall…
Greasy napkins, cookie crumbs,
Globes of gooey bubble gum.
Cellophane from green baloney,
Rubbery blubbery macaroni,
Peanut butter caked and dry,
Curdled milk and crust of pie,
Moldy melons, dried-up mustard,
Eggshells mixed with lemon custard,
Cold french fried and rancid meat,
Yellow lumps of Cream of Wheat.
At last the garbage reached so high
That finally it touched the sky.
And all the neighbors moved away,
And none of her friends would come to play.
And finally Sarah Cynthia Stout said,
“OK, I’ll take the garbage out!”
But then, of course, it was too late…
The garbage reached across the state,
From New York to the Golden Gate.
And there, in the garbage she did hate,
Poor Sarah met an awful fate,
That I cannot right now relate
Because the hour is much too late.
But children, remember Sarah Stout
And always take the garbage out!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still makes me smile and laugh. The biggest difference between being a kid and being a grown up in my opinion is learning to "not sweat the small stuff." The best thing about working with kids is that they are so unbelieveably honest, even when it comes to things like the stress that taking out the garbage brings. I am so fortunate to work with kids, have no two days ever be alike and to remember that I am making a difference!

6 comments:

  1. Vanessa, You are awesome with the bone thing. DaShawn teethed on chicken bones better than any teething ring made. I love it bet it was the BBQ sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vanessa,

    You are so right, if you want an honest answer about something ask a child. I think you babby picture is adorable. I love chicken too. Thanks for the comment posted on my blog. You mentioned if I ever talk with the inmates about their children regarding education. I often to speak with the inmates there about getting an education for themselves. We have so many inmates with very little education. You would not believe how many. We have a GED program and Adult Basic Eduction Program at the prison. I encourage my inmates to take advantage of a free education while they are incarcerated. We also several other cognitive programs that we encourage them to participate in. I do my best to explain to them the importance of an education as a way of making a positive change in their lives. Some take advantage, some you just can't reach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vanessa,
    What a cute picture! I'm happy to hear that you enjoy working with children. As you said, they are very honest and I like that. I agree about the quote "not to sweat the small stuff" when it comes to relationships in general. I have lived by it at times and it has worked for me. Thanks for reminding me of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vanessa,

    Cute poem, and even cuter baby picture! A child's honesty is a beautiful thing. I can ask my daughter about clothing, a hair style, how my cooking tastes(ah!), and she will tell me each time the truth. And I appreciate it. That is till she gets older and then we're arguing about if she snuck out and who is Tommy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vanessa, this is great and you were so cute. Not sweating the small stuff is definitely one way to do it. There are so many things that go on in our lives and things could be really bad, but they are not. Great words to live by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vanessa,
    Your baby photo is adorable, I think that you had the same chubby arms I did! Shel Silverstein was a genious when i was a small child, it appears nothing has changed. I still love his poems. I'm glad to see that you can laugh at yourself, that is something that has taken me years to learn how to do. We all love chicken off the bone girl!!
    ~Trish

    ReplyDelete