TashaLu

TashaLu
A love of my life!

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Week 3: Friends', Family, and Colleague's Perspectives on Culture and Diversity

My friend and co-worker Christina is 100% Indian and therefore, we have very different perspectives regarding how culture and diversity play roles in our lives. She discussed with me that her culture and that of her family is very unique in the sense that they identify themselves with the Christian faith. She talked about how this aspect of their culture is viewed as very unique among others within their race and ethnicity. Concerning diversity, having been born and raised in Brooklyn, NY, these cultural differences also shaped how she “fit in with others in school, church, and even just playing in the streets.”
I decided to talk with my father about his point of view about culture and diversity as well. My father is a former US Marine, and during his service had the opportunity to travel to various places around the world including Japan, Germany, and Hawaii, therefore, I knew he would have some interesting things to say based on these experiences. My dad talked about what it was like having to justify to his family that he was marrying and planned on having children with a white woman (my parents met during boot camp) and that this was very challenging, even upsetting to my paternal grandparents. Dad reflected on his time in Japan and talked about how as far as very different and awkward he felt, that being in that part of the world, he felt very welcomed and adapted quickly with the unique mentalities and cultural traditions practiced there. Dad says that he believes culture and diversity go “hand in hand because there are not two people alike in the world, which makes it a very interesting place sometimes.” I totally agree.
Lastly, I chose to talk with my friend Donnie about these two topics. Reflecting on Donnie and I’s friendship, I think he is one of my most interesting friends because we are so different. He grew up in the Midwest with country music (which I am not a fan of), a mostly conservative outlook ( I consider myself pretty Liberal on most subjects), and he shared that there were about 30 people in his high school graduating class (mine was over 800). I thought Donnie would have an interesting point of view about culture and diversity and I was right. Donnie talked about how a person’s culture “basically are all the little things that make people who they are.” “I think diversity, and others responses to things that are different are also part of their culture.” Donnie made an interesting and valid point that I also agree with. Depending on the culture from which one is raised, may set the tone for how accepting, respectful, and appreciative they are about others.
Christina, Donnie, and my father all made some great points that I hadn’t really considered thus far in this class. However, all of them discussed how complex the topics of culture and diversity are. Their definitions of each validate this point. When my father talked about his time oversees and in the Military, I was reminded of the issues of cultural congruence (or lack thereof), as well as the fact that family culture and an individual’s cultures are always evolving.
I was surprised that none of my conversations with Christina, Donnie, or my dad raised the issue of how their genders play into their perspectives on culture and diversity. I consider the fact that I am a woman to be a part of my culture, especially as I listen to my parents, grandparents and the other older people in my life talk about their life experiences.
If you approach each new person you meet in a spirit of adventure, you will find yourself endlessly fascinated by the new channels of thought and experience and personality that you encounter.
— Eleanor Roosevelt, Wife of President F. D. Roosevelt, activist, UN diplomat (1884-1962)

4 comments:

  1. Vanessa,

    One of your comments made me think of something. You said you were surprised that no one had responsed with their gender being a factor of their culture. I instantly thought that since becoming a mother, womanhood has really developed a large part in my mind. Example being that women tend to have that something that allows them to be patient and caring and tending to needs (even though mine didn't appear till after my daughter was born). And the fact that I now can see the roles that women generally play in a household such as cooking, cleaning, and children rearing, are all roles that can really change your life thus drastically change your culture. So being a simple term as female has progressed for me to woman, to mother, to chef, to nurse and so on (although these are not my "professions" LOL).

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa,
    Thank you for sharing your family and friends comments. I also interviewd a co-worker from India and she said a culture shock to her was how disrespectfulthe children are here in America. I was wondering if your friend fells the same?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with your father's impression of Japan/Asia. I tell my Chinese colleagues that I want to be like them when I grow up. It seems at least here in China there is a willingness to let things go. There have been atrocities occur here like everywhere else, but it seems like they are willing to let it go and move on. When I get into a 'snit' about some probably little thing, I am advised not to worry, just move on. I cannot make a generalized statment, but I have seen finder benders when at least one driver got out of the car in a rage and there may be some shouting but it is soon calmed with a smile and/or pat that seems to say, 'No, problem, we can work this out'. Also, being here is like being welcomed into their homes.

    This is a beautiful part of the world. I am blessed to be here.

    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vanessa,

    This informs me of the nature of US, anything that displays something that is remotely "different" we automatically disapprove. This country has proven itself to be very good at discrimination, it is time for us to become better at inclusion.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete